Risk Management Educational Opportunities
Overview of Issue
There are a number of educational opportunities for risk managers to learn about risk management and patient safety at introductory and more advanced levels. Some courses include quality improvement as well. The audiences for these offerings include quality and risk management professionals, managers, senior leaders, and board members. This Risk Note outlines available courses across Canada and in the US.
- Educational opportunities exist across Canada and the US for risk managers to learn more about risk management and the links to patient safety and quality.
Canadian Patient Safety Institute
- Canadian Patient Safety Officer Course (in collaboration with HealthcareCAN)
- Patient Safety Education Program (in collaboration with Department of National Defence’s Directoraten of Health Services Delivery, Queen’s University, Manitoba Institute for Patient Safety, Ontario Hospital Association)
- Effective Governance for Quality and Patient Safety: A Toolkit for Healthcare Board Members and Senior Leaders (in collaboration with Canadian Health Services Research Foundation)
- Advancing Safety for Patients in Residency Education (in collaboration with Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada)
Ontario Hospital Association
- Quality and Patient Safety in Health Care Certificate/Diploma
- Risk Management in Health Care Certificate/Diploma
Governance Centre of Excellence (a program of the Ontario Hospital Association)
Alberta Health Services
BC Patient Safety & Quality Council
RIMS – The Risk Management Society and Global Risk Management Institute, Inc.
University of Toronto
American Society for Healthcare Risk Management
- HRM Certificate Program
- Patient Safety Certificate Program
- Certified Professional in Healthcare Risk Management
National Patient Safety Foundation
- Certified Professional in Patient Safety