Vice President, Healthcare Risk Management
Healthcare Insurance Reciprocal of Canada (HIROC) is a trusted safety advisor, offering a full spectrum of insurance products and risk management solutions to its partners in the health sector. Founded in 1987 with 52 subscribers, today HIROC insures over 600 healthcare organizations across Canada. As a reciprocal, HIROC is owned and governed entirely by its subscribers and our services are continually evolving to meet the needs of a sector where change has become the norm. With a unique business model, HIROC is a differentiator in the healthcare insurance industry and remains as nimble and proactive today as when we were founded. HIROC’s philosophy is one of unrelenting foresight and innovation that will enable us to meet the needs of our subscribers both today, and tomorrow. This is where you come in.
The Call to Leadership
Reporting to the CEO, the Vice President, Healthcare Risk Management, working together with a talented, experienced and dynamic leadership team, will play a key and exciting role in advancing HIROC’s vision of “Partnering to Create the Safest Healthcare System” and its mission of “Providing insurance, risk management and innovative solutions supporting safety and collaboration in healthcare.” This includes leveraging HIROC’s unique relationships and insights into what drives harm and costs, and developing patient safety and risk management interventions in partnership with others.
Working with HIROC’s other formal and informal leadership, the VP will lead and co-lead in:
- Co-creating risk, patient safety and harm reduction solutions and translating knowledge in collaboration with system partners
- Informing and supporting risk management, patient safety and claims reduction initiatives at the front line – for our subscribers and those they serve
- Bringing HIROC’s influence and knowledge to regulators, decision makers and system leaders
- Lead by example and champion solutions to foster a culture of service, safety and learning
- Using a combination of quantitative/qualitative research methodologies, analyze national and global healthcare and related environments, and proactively identify opportunities to improve HIROC’s already considerable products and services related to safety and risk management
- Provide direction and support to the Healthcare Risk Management team; ensure alignment of staff and department objectives with HIROC’s strategic priorities; and measure, track and report progress and results
- Lead corporate-wide strategies to:
- Develop, implement and sustain plans for subscriber boards and senior leaders in relation to patient safety and risk management
- Sustain and enhance HIROC patient safety and risk management initiatives (e.g. RAC and Risk Register)
- Develop and enhance strategic partnerships and co-create risk and safety solutions
- Develop risk management capacity within the healthcare system
- Ensure opportunities for staff growth and development
- Prepare reports on programs and results for external communication and publication
- Participate in HIROC strategic planning
- Committees: executive support to the Board Claims and Risk Management Committee; member of the HIROC Foundation Board; chair of HIROC’s Safety Grants Committee
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Advanced knowledge of the healthcare system, patient safety and improvement science, risk management, risk reduction concepts, and laws and regulations
- Executive-level leadership skills including financial planning, human resources management, organizational development and customer service
- Strong staff development, coaching and mentoring skills
- Strong skills in planning and implementing change
- Strong analytical skills with the ability to find creative solutions to complex problems
- Excellent verbal communication and interpersonal skills
- Excellent writing skills
Education, Training & Experience
- A Master’s degree or an equivalent mix of experience and expertise in healthcare administration or health professions, including but not limited to: planning, budgeting, policy development, quantitative and qualitative methods
- Advanced training in patient safety, quality improvement, risk management, claims reduction
- Eight to ten years of experience working in senior leadership roles, including experience in developing and implementing patient safety, quality improvement and/or risk management initiatives
Please submit your résumé to HR@hiroc.com.
In order to be considered for this position, please include a current résumé or detailed qualifications summary with your application. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
HIROC is committed to providing a barrier-free environment for all stakeholders, including our subscribers, employees, job applicants, suppliers, the public and any visitors who may enter our premises, access our information, or use our services. As an organization, we respect and uphold the requirements set forth under the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA) and its associated standards and regulations and will ensure that we offer a safe and welcoming environment that is respectful of each person's dignity and independence.
As an organization, HIROC is dedicated to meeting the needs of individuals with disabilities in a timely manner. We understand that providing a barrier-free environment is a shared effort, and as an organization, we are committed to working with the necessary parties to make accessibility a reality for all.