Healthcare Insurance Reciprocal of Canada (HIROC) is a trusted risk and safety advisor, offering a full spectrum of insurance products and risk management solutions to its partners in the health sector. Founded in 1987 with 52 Subscribers, today they insure over 600 healthcare organizations. As a reciprocal, HIROC is governed by its Subscribers and its services are continually evolving to meet the needs of a sector where change has become the norm. With their unique business model, HIROC is a differentiator in the health care insurance industry and remains as nimble and proactive today as when it was founded. HIROC’s philosophy is one of focused attention to customer service and unrelenting foresight and innovation that will enable it to meet the needs of its Subscribers both today, and tomorrow. This is where you come in.
Reporting to the Lead, Underwriting, the primary responsibility of the Senior Underwriter is to manage subscriber coverage and underwriting needs and inquires, while ensuring compliance and meeting business requirements.
- Remain up to date on the HIROC policy wording and coverage implications.
- Provide guidance and support to the Insurance Services team and other departments with respect to the HIROC coverage.
- Support Subscribers on complex matters such as coverage determinations, contract reviews, indemnity provisions, etc.
- Liaise with HIROC’s Claims team on new and outstanding claims, and provide advocacy when required.
- Communicate to staff members any changes to the HIROC policy or underwriting procedures.
- Analyze and assess new business opportunities, and determine premium for liability, crime and property insurance according to underwriting guidelines.
- Review and prepare endorsements for Subscribers according to underwriting guidelines. As needed, review and prepare manuscript wordings under the guidance of the Underwriting Lead.
- Review and analyze any changes in operations, claims experience, etc. for Subscribers on renewal, and provide recommendations on premium allocation.
- As needed, review and make recommendations for new business and renewal applications/surveys.
- Provide guidance and support to junior staff.
- Work with Supervisor, Client Services to understand underwriting and coding information required for the issuance of new policies.
- Provide the Client Services team with the appropriate documentation to process policy changes and new business transactions.
- Work with Client Services team and other departments to streamline workflows and processes.
- Provide guidance to Client Services team and other departments for documentation issues (e.g. certificates of insurance).
- Participate in HIROC’s Coverage Review Committee to ensure that the HIROC policy remains competitive and responsive to Subscribers’ needs.
- Work with internal staff and external coverage counsel to recommend updates and modify the HIROC policy as needed.
- Participate in drafting revised policy wordings under the guidance of the Underwriting Supervisor.
- Review and recommend updates to rating methodologies and underwriting practices under the guidance of the Underwriting Supervisor to ensure they are competitive and appropriate.
- As required, prepare information requested by actuaries, reinsurers, and other external stakeholders.
- Participate in discussions with actuaries and assist Underwriting Supervisor with renewal negotiations as needed.
- Keep up-to-date with market conditions, attend insurance and healthcare industry seminars, and stay informed on issues related to HIROC's market.
- Participate in initiatives that promote better management of health care issues.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal in English
- A proven track record in customer service coupled with excellent interpersonal skills
- Strong analytical, organizational and time management skills
- Must be detail-oriented
- Flexibility to work in a fast-paced and dynamic environment with changing priorities
- Ability to work independently and as a team member
- Ability to conceptualize details and develop action plans for problem-solving and decision making
- An interest in personal development and eagerness to learn new things
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite and other business-related software
- Valid Ontario drivers license and access to a vehicle
- Presentation skills
Education, Training and Experience
- Completed post-secondary education at the Bachelor level and 5 years of related work experience or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Insurance industry designations such as CIP/FCIP, CRM, RPLU.
How to Apply
Please submit your résumé to HR@hiroc.com.
In order to be considered for this position, please include a current résumé or detailed qualifications summary with your application. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
HIROC is committed to providing a barrier-free environment for all stakeholders, including our Subscribers, employees, job applicants, suppliers, the public and any visitors who may enter our premises, access our information, or use our services. As an organization, we respect and uphold the requirements set forth under the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA) and its associated standards and regulations and will ensure that we offer a safe and welcoming environment that is respectful of each person's dignity and independence.
As an organization, HIROC is dedicated to meeting the needs of individuals with disabilities in a timely manner. We understand that providing a barrier-free environment is a shared effort, and as an organization, we are committed to working with the necessary parties to make accessibility a reality for all.