The Healthcare Insurance Reciprocal of Canada (HIROC) is a trusted healthcare safety advisor, committed to offering a full spectrum of insurance, risk and claims management products and support.
HIROC knows healthcare as it’s the largest not-for-profit healthcare liability insurer in the country, with over 700+ healthcare organizations part of the Reciprocal. Combined with sage counsel and risk management solutions, HIROC works with its partners to increase safety.
As a Reciprocal, HIROC is governed by its Subscribers and remains an innovative, agile and proactive partner. Since its inception in 1987, the not-for-profit has returned over $200 million to the healthcare system. HIROC’s thirty-plus years of data is combined with its extensive experience to advise and share learnings, all with the goal of scaling knowledge and increasing safety across Canada’s healthcare system.
One common thread running through HIROC’s culture is the feeling of being part of something unique: partnering to create the safest healthcare system – HIROC’s vision.
Each employee has the opportunity to find their calling and help build a stronger organization designed to meet the needs of its Subscribers. As a Top 100 GTA Employer five years running, HIROC employees are empowered to find solutions and create amazing experiences in service to its Subscribers.
Join us and be part of the team working to make a difference.
The Senior Data Engineer is a key role in HIROC’s analytics landscape. Its main responsibility is to operate and enhance the foundational structure of HIROC’s data systems, enabling robust analytics for internal and external stakeholders.
- Work across the data lifecycle to analyze, design, build, test, implement and maintain robust data systems and architectures
- Support data analysts and data scientists on data initiatives to ensure data delivery architecture is consistent and optimized throughout ongoing projects
- Ensure the needs of business stakeholders are met, with regards to data acquisition, integration and warehousing and retention
- Ensure continuous delivery of data services to HIROC staff and subscribers
- Recommend methods and procedures on new assignments, such as data integration and warehousing efforts, with guidance
- Participate in a data governance strategy and a data architecture plan
- Research opportunities for data acquisition and new uses for existing data
- Ensure data assets at HIROC are managed in a secure manner, adhering to security and privacy requirements
- Recommend ways to improve data reliability, efficiency and quality
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Advanced knowledge and hands-on experience with relational databases (Microsoft SQL, Oracle)
- Experience in ETL development and data warehousing (SSIS, ODI)
- Strong knowledge of data management fundamentals and data governance principles
- Experience in supporting data quality initiatives and processes
- Hands-on experience with scripting languages (PowerShell, Python, R)
- Strong ability to learn new tools and technologies
- Experience supporting Business Intelligence tools is a plus (Power BI, BusinessObjects)
- Excellent communication skills and the ability to work effectively in teams
- Strong customer focus, analytical mindset and problem-solving skills
- Experience with big data technologies and architectures (Hadoop, Spark, Kafka)
- Experience with cloud technologies is a plus (Azure)
Education, Training & Experience
- To be successful in this role, you will possess a University degree in the field of Computer Science, Engineering, Mathematics or a related technical discipline.
- Most importantly, you are an enthusiastic and creative thinker, who is constantly driving performance improvement and are passionate about creating the safest health care system possible for Canadians.
How to Apply
Please submit your résumé to HR@hiroc.com.
In order to be considered for this position, please include a current résumé or detailed qualifications summary with your application. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
HIROC is committed to providing a barrier-free environment for all stakeholders, including our Subscribers, employees, job applicants, suppliers, the public and any visitors who may enter our premises, access our information, or use our services. As an organization, we respect and uphold the requirements set forth under the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA) and its associated standards and regulations and will ensure that we offer a safe and welcoming environment that is respectful of each person's dignity and independence.
As an organization, HIROC is dedicated to meeting the needs of individuals with disabilities in a timely manner. We understand that providing a barrier-free environment is a shared effort, and as an organization, we are committed to working with the necessary parties to make accessibility a reality for all.