Healthcare Insurance Reciprocal of Canada (HIROC) is a trusted risk and safety advisor, offering a full spectrum of insurance products and risk management solutions to its partners in the health sector. Founded in 1987 with 52 Subscribers, today they insure over 600 healthcare organizations. As a reciprocal, HIROC is governed by its Subscribers and its services are continually evolving to meet the needs of a sector where change has become the norm. With their unique business model, HIROC is a differentiator in the health care insurance industry and remains as nimble and proactive today as when it was founded. HIROC’s philosophy is one of focused attention to customer service and unrelenting foresight and innovation that will enable it to meet the needs of its Subscribers both today, and tomorrow. This is where you come in.
We’re seeking an experienced communicator to help HIROC turn the corner on patient safety!
Join an award-winning communications and marketing team as we continue on our journey to support the organization in embracing a relentless customer focus through building innovation and agility.
Reporting to the Director, Communications and Marketing, the Senior Communications Specialist will help drive change through storytelling, impactful marketing and digital engagement. Your deep passion for relationship building coupled with a results-oriented attitude will help us drive the brand forward.
- Contribute ideas and write articles for HIROC’s intranet
- General maintenance, troubleshooting, posting on HIROC’s intranet
- Collaborate with the Communications and Marketing Coordinator on all digital media assets
- Work with the Director, Communications and Marketing, Communications and Marketing Coordinator, and Graphic Designer on planning and execution of employee input events and communications elements of celebration events
- Assist the Director, Communications and Marketing in a variety of writing assignments
- Provide insight and editing assistance on articles and memorandum, ensuring content is timely, accurate and reflective of company goals and strategic direction
- Assist Director, Communications and Marketing in development of annual department plan, budget and strategic initiatives
- Work with internal stakeholders on communication and marketing-related requests; conception and production of partner and subscriber marketing materials; liaise with suppliers (designers, printers) to ensure high design standards, adherence to HIROC brand guidelines and delivery of product that is reflective of HIROC’s business and subscriber population
- Support HIROC’s external digital media strategy – updates, troubleshooting, broadcasting, etc. (Twitter, LinkedIn, YouTube, etc.)
- Work with Director, Communications and Marketing, Communications and Marketing Coordinator, and Graphic Designer to ensure content and design of HIROC’s external website aligns with brand standards and reflects HIROC’s key messages
- Assist Director, Communications and Marketing, Communications and Marketing Coordinator, and Graphic Designer in educating staff and ensuring compliance with brand guidelines
- Assist with booth set up and tear down at conferences and events
- Be an effective HIROC ambassador by attending events and building relationships with existing and potential subscribers/partners
- Work with HIROC leadership on coordinating staff attendance at conferences where HIROC is a sponsor
- Manage media relations: write press releases, do media outreach and monitor coverage
- Conduct interviews and write articles for external communications vehicles, assist with overseeing design and layout of publications
- Assist with special projects as assigned, including hiring consultants and overseeing the development of the project
- Oversee and assign article contributions from freelancers
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Self-motivated and able to work independently with minimal supervision
- Excellent team player with good communication and interpersonal skills
- At ease dealing with employees inside the organization and stakeholders/suppliers outside the organization
- Strong interviewing and writing skills, attention to detail; committed to producing quality communications materials
- Advanced knowledge of Microsoft suite of tools, with particular emphasis on Outlook, Word, Excel, and PowerPoint
- Desire to learn and willingness to take on new responsibilities
- Well-organized and able to meet deadlines
- Ability to exercise discretion and tact in sensitive and confidential situations
- Strong ability to multitask
Education, Training and Experience
- Completed post-secondary degree (Focus on communications or Marketing would be preferred)
- 5 years related work experience
- Proficient in the Microsoft office
- An enthusiastic and creative thinker, who is constantly driving performance improvement and is passionate about creating the safest health care system possible for Canadians.
How to Apply
Please submit your résumé to HR@hiroc.com.
In order to be considered for this position, please include a current résumé or detailed qualifications summary with your application. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
HIROC is committed to providing a barrier-free environment for all stakeholders, including our Subscribers, employees, job applicants, suppliers, the public and any visitors who may enter our premises, access our information, or use our services. As an organization, we respect and uphold the requirements set forth under the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA) and its associated standards and regulations and will ensure that we offer a safe and welcoming environment that is respectful of each person's dignity and independence.
As an organization, HIROC is dedicated to meeting the needs of individuals with disabilities in a timely manner. We understand that providing a barrier-free environment is a shared effort, and as an organization, we are committed to working with the necessary parties to make accessibility a reality for all.