Healthcare Insurance Reciprocal of Canada (HIROC) is a trusted risk and safety advisor, offering a full spectrum of insurance products and risk management solutions to its partners in the health sector. Founded in 1987 with 52 Subscribers, today they insure over 600 healthcare organizations. As a reciprocal, HIROC is governed by its Subscribers and its services are continually evolving to meet the needs of a sector where change has become the norm. With their unique business model, HIROC is a differentiator in the health care insurance industry and remains as nimble and proactive today as when it was founded. HIROC’s philosophy is one of focused attention to customer service and unrelenting foresight and innovation that will enable it to meet the needs of its Subscribers both today, and tomorrow. This is where you come in.
The Innovation Consultant is a pivotal role in the Performance Excellence and Information Services (PE&IS) department, helping drive innovative efforts at HIROC in support of our staff and subscribers. The Innovation Consultant is responsible for spearheading innovation initiatives to transform ideas into sustained new value for the business and for HIROC’s subscribers. This role requires exceptional skills in creative problem solving, design thinking, project management, relationship building and communication. The Innovation Consultant will work closely with other teams within the PE&IS department as well as stakeholders across the organization to ensure the successful ideation, fulfilment, and delivery of major organizational initiatives.
- Lead and contribute to a variety of challenging and stimulating multi-disciplinary projects, including scope definition, insights gathering, in-depth research, business case development, and stakeholder adoption.
- Innovate on and extend the value that HIROC’s website brings to internal stakeholders and HIROC’s subscribers.
- Support the overall (user experience and back-end) optimization of HIROC’s digital platforms in support of an improved staff and subscriber experience.
- Support the delivery of initiatives related to innovation, using design thinking, agile and other transformative methodologies as appropriate.
- Facilitate working sessions with stakeholders to develop meaningful solutions to business problems.
- Establish and maintain relationships across all business units, to serve as a trusted partner in project and program delivery.
- Evaluate a wide set of market insights, human insights and research insights on across various topic areas to identify opportunities for future innovation initiatives in the context of the HIROC Innovation Framework.
- Identify opportunities for HIROC to further leverage digital tools and technology to enhance and transform business processes in support of its strategic plan.
- Apply innovation research and partner closely with other stakeholders to apply a rigorous methodology to short- and long-term innovation initiatives.
- Conduct literature reviews, environmental scans, and other research methods to sharpen our organizational expertise on key topic areas.
- Work with colleagues to take outcomes from innovative projects and turn them into actionable solutions for meaningful problems.
- Support the spread of insights to users through relevant, meaningful and creative means, including through innovative methods using the HIROC website.
- Partner with stakeholders across the organization in identifying and communicating key insights for stakeholder groups.
- Support the development of business cases, briefing notes to ensure effective and efficient communication with senior stakeholders.
- Promote HIROC’s thought leadership and expertise through knowledge dissemination, including but not limited to HIROC’s website, publications, presentations, posters, abstracts and conferences.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Strong skills in planning and operationalizing complex projects and achieving results;
- An innovative and creative thinker who is open to different approaches to resolve issues;
- The ability to lead multiple, concurrent and complex initiatives to drive stakeholder value;
- Excellent knowledge of innovation methodologies including but not limited to Design Thinking, Agile, Business Innovation, Innovation Management and related approaches;
- Outstanding facilitation skills, and the ability to customize approaches for different problems and approaches;
- Strong relationship management skills and the ability to lead multidisciplinary teams;
- Knowledge of the Canadian healthcare system, including familiarity with the acute care, long-term care, rehabilitation or chronic care, mental health & addictions, or midwifery care settings;
- Strong communication, time management and organizational skills;
- A self-starter who is motivated to make meaningful changes to improve patient safety in the Canadian healthcare system;
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills with the ability to clearly articulate complex ideas to a wide range of stakeholders.
Education, Training & Experience
- A University degree preferably in Engineering, Business, Computer Science, Innovation, Industrial Design, or related field.
- Professional experience that includes at least five years in leading complex projects, applied innovation, facilitation, and process and workflow design.
- Certifications in Design Thinking, Project Management, Agile, Business Innovation, or Innovation Management strongly preferred.
- Most importantly, you are an enthusiastic and creative thinker, who is constantly driving performance improvement and are passionate about creating the safest health care system possible for Canadians.
How to Apply
Please submit your résumé to HR@hiroc.com.
In order to be considered for this position, please include a current résumé or detailed qualifications summary with your application. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
HIROC is committed to providing a barrier-free environment for all stakeholders, including our Subscribers, employees, job applicants, suppliers, the public and any visitors who may enter our premises, access our information, or use our services. As an organization, we respect and uphold the requirements set forth under the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA) and its associated standards and regulations and will ensure that we offer a safe and welcoming environment that is respectful of each person's dignity and independence.
As an organization, HIROC is dedicated to meeting the needs of individuals with disabilities in a timely manner. We understand that providing a barrier-free environment is a shared effort, and as an organization, we are committed to working with the necessary parties to make accessibility a reality for all.