The Healthcare Insurance Reciprocal of Canada (HIROC) is a trusted healthcare safety advisor, committed to offering a full spectrum of insurance, risk and claims management products and support.
HIROC knows healthcare as it’s the largest not-for-profit healthcare liability insurer in the country, with over 700 healthcare organizations part of the Reciprocal. Combined with sage counsel and risk management solutions, HIROC works with its partners to increase safety.
As a Reciprocal, HIROC is governed by its Subscribers and remains an innovative, agile and proactive partner. Since its inception in 1987, the not-for-profit has returned over $200 million to the healthcare system. HIROC’s thirty-plus years of data is combined with its extensive experience to advise and share learnings, all with the goal of scaling knowledge and increasing safety across Canada’s healthcare system.
One common thread running through HIROC’s culture is the feeling of being part of something unique: partnering to create the safest healthcare system – HIROC’s vision.
Each employee has the opportunity to find their calling and help build a stronger organization designed to meet the needs of its Subscribers. As a Top 100 GTA Employer five years running, HIROC employees are empowered to find solutions and create amazing experiences in service to its Subscribers.
Join us and be part of the team working to make a difference.
The Infrastructure Specialist is a vital member of HIROC’s Infrastructure and Service Management Team within the Performance Excellence and Information Services Department. The role is primarily responsible for providing a robust, reliable and secure foundation of technologies and systems to enable the company’s business operations and support its strategy.
- Design, implement and maintain network topologies and configurations in a multi-site corporate network environment, including firewalls, VPNs and storage area networks.
- Manage all operational aspects of server infrastructure, including physical servers, virtual servers, cloud servers and hyperconverged infrastructure.
- Ensure the optimal function of key applications and systems, including but not limited to endpoint agents, spam filters, multi-factor authentication, antivirus software and mobility management.
- Support the deployment, recovery, upgrade and replacement of end user workstations.
- Design, deploy and configure IT infrastructure in support of new technologies and enterprise applications, including servers, software and networking requirements.
- Respond to emergencies in line with business continuity plans to ensure timely disaster recovery, including in simulated tests.
- Collaboration with our cybersecurity managed security service provider to mitigate security risks by ensuring systems are patched in accordance with schedules and priorities.
- Support automation efforts to increase efficiency in repetitive manual tasks.
- Support development and implementation of IT Infrastructure projects and new technology installations.
- Evaluate and recommend IT infrastructure systems for purchase.
- Keep current with the IT infrastructure industry and key trends in products, services, technologies and standards in support of the company’s continued innovation.
- Contribute to the company’s knowledge base to strengthen troubleshooting and maintenance activities.
- Ensure established service level agreements are met or exceeded.
- Act as a mentor and coach to junior members of the team, providing guidance and backup as required.
- Support asset management activities by ensuring licenses and support agreements are logged and tracked.
- Other duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- In-depth understanding of IT infrastructure (servers, storage, routers, switches, firewalls, cloud and hyperconverged infrastructure)
- Experience working with and improving policies and procedures.
- Experience working with sensitive and protected data, including familiarity with data privacy and confidentiality standards.
- Good understanding of NIST frameworks.
- Strong understanding of networking concepts and technologies, including firewalls and VPN tunnels.
- Exceptional organization and time management skills.
- Experience in implementing business continuity and disaster recovery methodologies.
- Experience working with the following technologies: Veeam, Microsoft Exchange, Active Directory, Microsoft Teams, WebEx Teams, Microsoft End Point Manager (SCCM), email encryption, Mimecast spam filter, VMware vSphere, Windows Server, Nutanix HCI, HP ClearPass.
- Programming/scripting skills. E.g., PowerShell, would be an asset but are not required.
Education, Training & Experience
- To be successful in this role, you will possess a College or University degree in the field of Computer Science or a related field.
- 8-10 years of work experience.
- Minimum 8 years of experience supporting Data Centre infrastructure; LANs, WANs and Wireless.
- Minimum 8 years hands-on experience implementing, configuring, and troubleshooting complex networks.
- Minimum 8 years of experience administrating and maintaining a Windows Server, VMware vSphere environment.
- Certifications of the following are an asset:
- VMWare Administration
- MS System Administration, MCSE & Exchange
- Nutanix Hyperconverged Administration
- ITIL 4 Foundation
- Cybersecurity Training
- HP ClearPass Administration would be an asset but are not required.
- Most importantly, you are an enthusiastic and creative thinker, who is constantly driving performance improvement and are passionate about creating the safest healthcare system possible for Canadians.
How to Apply
Please submit your résumé to HR@hiroc.com.
In order to be considered for this position, please include a current résumé or detailed qualifications summary with your application. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
HIROC is committed to providing a barrier-free environment for all stakeholders, including our Subscribers, employees, job applicants, suppliers, the public and any visitors who may enter our premises, access our information, or use our services. As an organization, we respect and uphold the requirements set forth under the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA) and its associated standards and regulations and will ensure that we offer a safe and welcoming environment that is respectful of each person's dignity and independence.
As an organization, HIROC is dedicated to meeting the needs of individuals with disabilities in a timely manner. We understand that providing a barrier-free environment is a shared effort, and as an organization, we are committed to working with the necessary parties to make accessibility a reality for all.