Healthcare Insurance Reciprocal of Canada (HIROC) is a trusted risk and safety advisor, offering a full spectrum of insurance products and risk management solutions to its partners in the health sector. Founded in 1987 with 52 Subscribers, today they insure over 600 healthcare organizations. As a reciprocal, HIROC is governed by its Subscribers and its services are continually evolving to meet the needs of a sector where change has become the norm. With their unique business model, HIROC is a differentiator in the health care insurance industry and remains as nimble and proactive today as when it was founded. HIROC’s philosophy is one of focused attention to customer service and unrelenting foresight and innovation that will enable it to meet the needs of its Subscribers both today, and tomorrow. This is where you come in.
Reporting to the Director, People and Organization, the Human Resources Generalist primary responsibility is to act as a resource for all HIROC employees for many facets of human resources. These include but not limited to recruitment, policies and procedures, benefits administration, compensation and payroll, training and development, wellness and employee relations.
Recruitment, Selection, Onboarding and Offboarding
- Coordinates and leads the full-cycle recruitment process, including: drafting job descriptions/postings, gathering approvals for new hires, identifying recruitment strategies, advertising, screening, creating interview guides, scheduling and conducting interviews, extending offers, coordinating reference and background checks.
- Build and sustain beneficial relationships with employment agencies and educational institutions.
- Manages the maintenance and development of the Careers section of HIROC.com and My HIROC (intranet).
- Facilitates the onboarding process for new employees including: arrival preparations (welcome packages, checklists) and first-day orientations.
- Coordinate with Performance Excellence and Information Services Department, Office Administrator and hiring manager for workstation set up.
- Ensure new hire paperwork is completed and processed appropriately.
- Assist with exit strategies as required.
- Ensure offboarding paperwork is completed and processed appropriately.
- Coordinate with Office Administrator to maintain Employee Listings, Organizational Charts and HIROC Staff contact listing.
- Plan Administer for HIROC’s benefit programs (Manulife, Desjardins, HOOPP & RBC).
- Provides Day-to-day benefits administration services. Assists employees with any benefit related issues. Communicate to employees any changes to company plans and/or legislation affecting the benefit or pension plans.
- Review and negotiate yearly renewals. Recommends changes to benefits offered, especially new benefits aimed at employee engagement and retention.
- Schedule and/or develop benefit orientations and other benefit trainings.
Administration and Wellness
- Maintain and enhance human resource databases, computer software systems and manual filing systems.
- Assist in maintaining confidential employee files in collaboration with the Office Administrator.
- Makes recommendation for vendor changes to Human Resources when appropriate.
- Maintain, develop and provide recommendations for policies and processes.
- Update policies to ensure compliance with legislation in collaboration with the Director, People and Organization.
- Participate in the development of department goals and objectives.
- Responsible for human resources and administration content updates for My HIROC (i.e. Health and Wellness, building updates, HIROC announcements, etc.).
- Process invoices for human resources and administration related vendors (i.e. Benefits, training, recruitment, etc.).
- Participate within Health & Safety Committee. Coordination of quarterly meeting JHSC meetings. Ensure that Health & Safety concerns all dealt with swiftly.
- Coordinate, maintain and review wellness initiatives.
Training and Development
- Assist Director, People & Organization with design, coordination and facilitation of HR-related training (policies, benefits, procedures, programs, laws, etc.).
- Assist in the development of in-house training system/program that addresses the company’s training needs including but not limited to, new employee orientation or onboarding, leadership development, and the measurement of training impact.
- Assist with the selection and contracting of external training programs and consultants based on organization needs.
- Assists in monitoring the performance evaluation and bonus programs.
- Maintain employee training records and ensure compliance with training requirements.
Compensation and Payroll
- Responsible for the completion of external salary surveys as required.
- Complete job evaluations for newly created roles in the organization.
- Assist in preparing compensation and objective templates for budget, salary administration and bonus administration manually or within systems available.
- Responsible for the administration of semi-monthly payroll.
- Ensure data collection for objectives is complete according to schedule.
- Ensure all payroll information is up to date and compliant with legislative requirements.
- Helps to monitor the organization’s culture so that it supports the attainment of the company’s goals and promotes employee engagement.
- Participate in cross organizational committees as required.
- Provide professional and prompt human resources support and assistance.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- High regard for quality, attention to detail and the ability to exercise discretion, tact and maintain confidentiality.
- Comfortable taking initiative and showing good judgement.
- Ability to build and maintain lasting relationships with departments and individuals at all levels.
- Deliver exemplary customer service through strong ownership and professionalism.
- Knowledge and practical experience with relevant legislation e.g. Employment Standards, Health and Safety, etc...
- Excellent verbal, written and oral communication skills.
- Working knowledge of the Microsoft Office suite of tools, with particular emphasis on Outlook, Word, PowerPoint and Excel.
- Excellent time and project management skills.
- Well-developed analytical skills.
- Ability to work both independently and as a team member.
- Exceptional organizational and self-management skills.
Education, Training and Experience
- Degree or Diploma in Human Resources Management or related field.
- Payroll Compliance Practitioner (PCP) Certificate would be an asset.
- Minimum of 5 years of working human resources experience, including 2 – 3 of those in a generalist capacity.