The Healthcare Insurance Reciprocal of Canada (HIROC) is a trusted healthcare safety advisor, committed to offering a full spectrum of insurance, risk and claims management products and support.
HIROC knows healthcare as it’s the largest not-for-profit healthcare liability insurer in the country, with over 700+ healthcare organizations part of the Reciprocal. Combined with sage counsel and risk management solutions, HIROC works with its partners to increase safety.
As a Reciprocal, HIROC is governed by its Subscribers and remains an innovative, agile and proactive partner. Since its inception in 1987, the not-for-profit has returned over $200 million to the healthcare system. HIROC’s 35 years of data is combined with its extensive experience to advise and share learnings, all with the goal of scaling knowledge and increasing safety across Canada’s healthcare system.
One common thread running through HIROC’s culture is the feeling of being part of something unique: partnering to create the safest healthcare system – HIROC’s vision.
Each employee has the opportunity to find their calling and help build a stronger organization designed to meet the needs of its Subscribers. As a Top 100 GTA Employer seven years running, HIROC employees are empowered to find solutions and create amazing experiences in service to its Subscribers.
This is where you come in! Join us and be part of the team working to make a difference.
The Director, Performance Excellence and Information Services is responsible for overseeing a team that ensures the stability, security, and integrity of the company’s IT environment. Reporting to the Vice President, Performance Excellence and Information Services, the role oversees all aspects of HIROC’s IT operations, including leadership of HIROC’s Infrastructure, Help Desk, Analytics, Applications and Performance Excellence teams.
- Lead a diverse team by providing direction, delivering mentoring/coaching, conducting performance appraisals, and fostering personal development.
- Guide HIROC’s IT modernization efforts, including adoption of cloud infrastructure and applications.
- Develop and manage strong work relationships with IT vendors, sustaining successful and cost-effective partnerships.
- Lead the development of business cases regarding the acquisition of IT solutions and services.
- Provide technical leadership in areas including, but not limited to, IT infrastructure, enterprise architecture, business continuity and disaster recovery.
- Enhance and develop policies and standards to ensure to ensure the safe, reliable, and efficient operation of HIROC’s IT systems and processes.
- Work alongside HIROC’s Privacy & Compliance Officer to ensure the security and privacy of HIROC’s sensitive and confidential data.
- Work closely with decision makers in other departments to identify, recommend, develop, deploy, and support technology solutions that improve operations and support HIROC’s strategic plan.
- Oversee data governance efforts and processes across the company, including but not limited to data change control, data access management and data cataloguing.
- Manage the annual budget for the department, providing input and direction to other teams with regards to technology-oriented expenditures.
- Other special projects and responsibilities as may arise or be assigned from time to time to achieve HIROC’s and the Performance Excellence and Information Service Department’s goals.
- Foster a culture of innovation and collaboration, with an emphasis on agile and design thinking principles.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Senior leadership experience, including financial planning, and human resources.
- Strong staff development, coaching and mentoring skills.
- Strong skills in managing multiple complex projects and achieving results.
- An innovative and creative thinker who is open to different approaches to resolve issues.
- Exceptional breadth and depth of technical skills, in areas including but not limited to cloud infrastructure,
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills with the ability to clearly articulate complex ideas to a broad range of stakeholders.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Strong experience with enterprise IT architecture, particularly with Microsoft technologies (e.g., Azure, Microsoft 365, Dynamics 365, Power Platform). Certifications are an asset (e.g., Microsoft MVP).
Education, Training & Experience
- To be successful in this role, you will possess a university degree preferably in Computer Science, Engineering or Information Systems
- At least 10 years of progressive work experience in the field, including 8+ years working at a leadership level.
- Consideration will be given to candidates that have an equivalent mix of education, experience and expertise.
- Most importantly, you are an enthusiastic and creative thinker who is passionate about creating the safest health care system possible for Canadians.
How to Apply
Please submit your résumé to HR@hiroc.com.
In order to be considered for this position, please include a current résumé or detailed qualifications summary with your application. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
HIROC is committed to fostering a climate of equity, diversity, inclusion, and accessibility. HIROC respects the diversity of all members of its community and welcomes applications from those who have demonstrated a commitment to the values of equity, diversity and inclusion. Applications from members of groups that have been historically disadvantaged and marginalized, including First Nations, Métis and Inuit peoples, racialized persons, persons with disabilities, those who identify as women, 2SLGBTQ+, individuals who self-identify on the basis of any of the protected grounds under the Human Rights Code and/or others who may contribute to the further diversification of ideas within its community are encouraged. HIROC is committed to fair assessment of a candidate’s abilities, and consideration for diversity of thought, method, and experience, including non-traditional career paths.
HIROC is committed to providing a barrier-free environment for all stakeholders, including its participants, employees, job applicants, suppliers, the public and any visitors who may enter its premises, access its information, or use its services. As an organization, HIROC respects and upholds the requirements set forth under the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA) and its associated standards and regulations and will ensure that HIROC offers a safe and welcoming environment that is respectful of each person's dignity and independence.