The Healthcare Insurance Reciprocal of Canada (HIROC) is a trusted healthcare safety advisor, committed to offering a full spectrum of insurance, risk and claims management products and support.
HIROC knows healthcare as it’s the largest not-for-profit healthcare liability insurer in the country, with over 700+ healthcare organizations part of the Reciprocal. Combined with sage counsel and risk management solutions, HIROC works with its partners to increase safety.
As a Reciprocal, HIROC is governed by its Subscribers and remains an innovative, agile and proactive partner. Since its inception in 1987, the not-for-profit has returned over $200 million to the healthcare system. HIROC’s thirty-plus years of data is combined with its extensive experience to advise and share learnings, all with the goal of scaling knowledge and increasing safety across Canada’s healthcare system.
One common thread running through HIROC’s culture is the feeling of being part of something unique: partnering to create the safest healthcare system – HIROC’s vision.
Each employee has the opportunity to find their calling and help build a stronger organization designed to meet the needs of its Subscribers. As a Top 100 GTA Employer five years running, HIROC employees are empowered to find solutions and create amazing experiences in service to its Subscribers.
Join us and be part of the team working to make a difference.
Due to unprecedented growth, HIROC is expanding its Finance team to add a Controller. Reporting directly to the Director of Finance and Operations and indirectly to the VP Finance, the candidate will, together with the Director of Finance and Operations, be responsible for leading the financial oversight and reporting for all HIROC Group entities.
As a member of HIROC’s leadership team, the successful candidate will have demonstrated effective people and leadership skills and aptitude, excellent communication skills and be a self-starter who enjoys working in a fast-paced environment. The ideal candidate will be comfortable operating in a mid-sized agile organization, is process-oriented, and has a strong finance/accounting foundation, preferably with Insurance industry experience.
The Controller will, in addition to their general leadership and oversight roles, provide financial reporting and advisory support to internal and external stakeholders. Responsibilities include:
- Coordination and preparation of monthly and quarterly financial statement reporting processes and annual audit requirements;
- Liaise with external auditors, actuaries, reinsurers, investment managers
- Involvement in financial systems, surplus management, investment reporting, budgeting, internal audit, special programs
- Lead the implementation of new financial reporting standards-IFRS 17
- Ability to partner and communicate effectively with various stakeholders such as senior leadership group, external investment managers, regulators and subscribers;
- Special projects as assigned;
- Such other responsibilities as may be assigned or as may arise from time to time.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- The successful candidate will have demonstrated leadership, initiative and have a desire to learn and develop in a collaborative, team-oriented environment.
Education, Training & Experience
- To qualify, candidates must have a CPA designation, with at least 5-7 years of progressive work experience in accounting/finance functions.
- Experience in the Insurance industry is strongly preferred (either directly with an Insurance company or in public accounting focused on Insurance engagements) with knowledge of IFRS Insurance reporting standards, especially new IFRS 17.
How to Apply
Please submit your résumé to HR@hiroc.com.
In order to be considered for this position, please include a current résumé or detailed qualifications summary with your application. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
HIROC is committed to providing a barrier-free environment for all stakeholders, including our Subscribers, employees, job applicants, suppliers, the public and any visitors who may enter our premises, access our information, or use our services. As an organization, we respect and uphold the requirements set forth under the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA) and its associated standards and regulations and will ensure that we offer a safe and welcoming environment that is respectful of each person's dignity and independence.
As an organization, HIROC is dedicated to meeting the needs of individuals with disabilities in a timely manner. We understand that providing a barrier-free environment is a shared effort, and as an organization, we are committed to working with the necessary parties to make accessibility a reality for all.