The Healthcare Insurance Reciprocal of Canada (HIROC) is a trusted healthcare safety advisor, committed to offering a full spectrum of insurance, risk and claims management products and support.
HIROC knows healthcare as it’s the largest not-for-profit healthcare liability insurer in the country, with over 700+ healthcare organizations part of the Reciprocal. Combined with sage counsel and risk management solutions, HIROC works with its partners to increase safety.
As a Reciprocal, HIROC is governed by its Subscribers and remains an innovative, agile and proactive partner. Since its inception in 1987, the not-for-profit has returned over $200 million to the healthcare system. HIROC’s thirty-plus years of data is combined with its extensive experience to advise and share learnings, all with the goal of scaling knowledge and increasing safety across Canada’s healthcare system.
One common thread running through HIROC’s culture is the feeling of being part of something unique:
partnering to create the safest healthcare system – HIROC’s vision.
Each employee has the opportunity to find their calling and help build a stronger organization designed to meet the needs of its Subscribers. As a Top 100 GTA Employer six years running, HIROC employees are empowered to find solutions and create amazing experiences in service to its Subscribers.
Join us and be part of the team working to make a difference.
Reporting to the Lead, Claims Examiners, the Claims Examiner’s primary responsibility is to collaborate with internal partners and subscribers to ensure the effective resolution of claims. The role will focus on investigating, analyzing and providing accurate and transparent information to all parties involved in the claims process.
- Review initial documentation, apply legal/claims analysis and set/amend reserves
- Instruct adjuster/lawyer on a continuing basis, settle/deny/defend decisions
- Ensure required information/evidence is collected & preserved, authorize expense payments, mediations & pre-trails
- Conduct/control negotiations with plaintiff counsel, mediators, pre-trial judges, and claimants
- Make settlement decisions up to the posted reserve of assigned claims, authorize settlement payments.
- Handle special-focus-area of specialty claims as assigned.
- Policy Interpretation
- Situational Analysis & Recommendations for actions on non-claim matters
- R/M Advice
Interaction with Other HIROC Departments
- R/M: Education and Developing Coordinated Responses to Situations
- I/O: Policy Development and Revision, Education as to new legal developments
- F&A: Transaction Verification
- Continuous skills and knowledge upgrading (negotiation, insurance knowledge, computer abilities, legal developments, court trends, settlement amounts)
- Train junior staff
- Present to HIROC Subscribers/Healthcare administrators on Insurance & Claims Matters
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Ability to work in a team environment.
- Ability to problem solve and balance multiple priorities to ensure timelines are met.
- Strong analytical skills with the ability to apply principles of logic and scientific thinking to a wide range of problems;
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills with the ability to clearly articulate complex ideas to a wide range of stakeholders.
- Valid Ontario G driver’s licence and access to a vehicle.
Education, Training & Experience
- Completed post-secondary education and 2-5 years related work experience or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Enrollment in or completion of CIP/FCIP required courses
- An enthusiastic and creative thinker, who is constantly driving performance improvement and is passionate about creating the safest health care system possible for Canadians.
- Hybrid work model
- Working at a computer for much of the day
- Travel across Canada is required
As a condition of employment, all external hires will be required to submit proof of COVID-19 vaccination or documentation unless a valid medical exemption or a valid exemption based on enumerated grounds under the Ontario Human Rights Code exists. All internal candidates must be in compliance with HIROC's COVID-19 Vaccination Policy.
How to Apply
Please submit your résumé to HR@hiroc.com.
In order to be considered for this position, please include a current résumé or detailed qualifications summary with your application. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
HIROC is committed to providing a barrier-free environment for all stakeholders, including our Subscribers, employees, job applicants, suppliers, the public and any visitors who may enter our premises, access our information, or use our services. As an organization, we respect and uphold the requirements set forth under the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA) and its associated standards and regulations and will ensure that we offer a safe and welcoming environment that is respectful of each person's dignity and independence.
As an organization, HIROC is dedicated to meeting the needs of individuals with disabilities in a timely manner. We understand that providing a barrier-free environment is a shared effort, and as an organization, we are committed to working with the necessary parties to make accessibility a reality for all.