The Healthcare Insurance Reciprocal of Canada (HIROC) is a trusted healthcare safety advisor, committed to offering a full spectrum of insurance, risk and claims management products and support.
HIROC knows healthcare as it’s the largest not-for-profit healthcare liability insurer in the country, with over 700+ healthcare organizations part of the Reciprocal. Combined with sage counsel and risk management solutions, HIROC works with its partners to increase safety.
As a Reciprocal, HIROC is governed by its Subscribers and remains an innovative, agile and proactive partner. Since its inception in 1987, the not-for-profit has returned over $200 million to the healthcare system. HIROC’s thirty-plus years of data is combined with its extensive experience to advise and share learnings, all with the goal of scaling knowledge and increasing safety across Canada’s healthcare system.
One common thread running through HIROC’s culture is the feeling of being part of something unique:
partnering to create the safest healthcare system – HIROC’s vision.
Each employee has the opportunity to find their calling and help build a stronger organization designed to meet the needs of its Subscribers. As a Top 100 GTA Employer five years running, HIROC employees are empowered to find solutions and create amazing experiences in service to its Subscribers.
Join us and be part of the team working to make a difference.
Duties and Responsibilities
Accounting for Special Entities and Programs
- End-to-end accounts payable processing in multiple ledgers including: coding, entry and verification of payable transactions, preparation and processing of electronic payments, communication with vendors and issue resolution
- Assist with preparation of client invoicing
- Prepare investment entries and reconciliations and monitor bank balances
- Preparation of monthly account reconciliations
- Preparation and processing of system interface files
- Prepare financial statements, tax reports, and related supporting documents for distribution
- Assist with quarter-end and year-end close and year-end audit
- Communicate and resolve issues with internal and external parties
Cash Management & Bank Reconciliations
- Entry of bank transactions in accounting system
- Monthly reconciliation of bank statements for multiple entities
Other Finance Duties
- Entry and maintenance of fixed assets records and depreciation
- Other duties as assigned
- Provide back-up where necessary in the Finance department
Skills and Attributes Required
- Strong knowledge of Excel
- Knowledge of accounts payable
- Knowledge of general accounting procedures
- Good written and oral communication skills
- Good information management skills
- Good time management skills and ability to meet deadlines
- Attention to detail and a commitment to excellence and continuous improvement
Education, Training & Experience
- College level or equivalent experience
- Accounting systems (Dynamics GP preferred)
- 3 years of relevant work experience, property and casualty insurance accounting experience considered to be an asset
As a condition of employment, all external hires will be required to submit proof of COVID-19 vaccination or documentation unless a valid medical exemption or a valid exemption based on enumerated grounds under the Ontario Human Rights Code exists. All internal candidates must be in compliance with HIROC's COVID-19 Vaccination Policy.
How to Apply
Please submit your résumé to HR@hiroc.com.
In order to be considered for this position, please include a current résumé or detailed qualifications summary with your application. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
HIROC is committed to providing a barrier-free environment for all stakeholders, including our Subscribers, employees, job applicants, suppliers, the public and any visitors who may enter our premises, access our information, or use our services. As an organization, we respect and uphold the requirements set forth under the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA) and its associated standards and regulations and will ensure that we offer a safe and welcoming environment that is respectful of each person's dignity and independence.
As an organization, HIROC is dedicated to meeting the needs of individuals with disabilities in a timely manner. We understand that providing a barrier-free environment is a shared effort, and as an organization, we are committed to working with the necessary parties to make accessibility a reality for all.