The Healthcare Insurance Reciprocal of Canada (HIROC) is a trusted healthcare safety advisor, committed to offering a full spectrum of insurance, risk and claims management products and support.
HIROC knows healthcare as it’s the largest not-for-profit healthcare liability insurer in the country, with over 700+ healthcare organizations part of the Reciprocal. Combined with sage counsel and risk management solutions, HIROC works with its partners to increase safety.
As a Reciprocal, HIROC is governed by its Subscribers and remains an innovative, agile and proactive partner. Since its inception in 1987, the not-for-profit has returned over $200 million to the healthcare system. HIROC’s thirty-plus years of data is combined with its extensive experience to advise and share learnings, all with the goal of scaling knowledge and increasing safety across Canada’s healthcare system.
One common thread running through HIROC’s culture is the feeling of being part of something unique:
partnering to create the safest healthcare system – HIROC’s vision.
Each employee has the opportunity to find their calling and help build a stronger organization designed to meet the needs of its Subscribers. As a Top 100 GTA Employer seven years running, HIROC employees are empowered to find solutions and create amazing experiences in service to its Subscribers.
Join us and be part of the team working to make a difference.
Reporting to the Lead, Account Operations, the primary responsibility of the Account Executive is to manage subscriber coverage needs and inquires, while ensuring compliance and meeting business requirements.
- Respond to queries from Subscribers on coverage issues and general questions with a focus on liability insurance, including general liability, professional liability (med mal), directors and officers, as well as property insurance.
- Manage policy changes, including endorsements, addition of locations, limit changes, operational changes, etc.
- Ensure all subscriber and insurer correspondence is accurate and flows in an efficient manner.
- Prepare submissions, proposals, and maintain appropriate documentation for subscribers.
- Make regular contact with subscribers through web-ex and/or in-person meetings.
- Oversee/prepare production of coverage summaries, premium summaries, and subscriber documents.
- Prepare reports and presentations for subscribers’ executive teams, boards and audit/finance committees on coverages, insurance trends, etc.
- Complete file review at renewal and assist subscribers in completing annual Information Update (underwriting info) and investigate variances and incomplete information.
- Review and provide recommendations on insurance clauses in contracts/agreements such as funding/affiliation agreements, partnership agreements, vendor contracts, non-domestic agreements and clinical trials.
- Prepare and present quotations or respond to RFPs.
- Maintain relationships with underwriters and other key staff of our various insurance partners.
- Maintain environmental awareness of subscribers’ issues and concerns.
- Review subscriber and healthcare literature and industry publication for changing needs and products.
- Promptly advise Account Associates and Client Systems Associates of any new policies that have been bound and any non-program renewals that have been agreed upon.
- Provide support to Senior Underwriters and Senior Account Executives as needed.
- Consult with HIROC staff in other departments regarding various issues and special projects.
- Work within underwriting authority and obtain underwriter approval when necessary.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal in English
- A proven track record in customer service coupled with excellent interpersonal skills
- Strong analytical, organizational and time management skills
- Must be detail-oriented
- Flexibility to work in a fast-paced and dynamic environment with changing priorities
- Ability to work independently and as a team member
- Ability to conceptualize details and develop action plans for problem-solving and decision making
- An interest in personal development and eagerness to learn new things
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite and other business-related software
- Presentation skills
Education, Training & Experience
- Completed post-secondary education at the Bachelor or College level and 3 years of related work experience or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- The preferred candidate would have or would be working toward other industry credentials such as CIP/FCIP, CAIB, CRM, RIBO.
- Property/Casualty insurance experience
Hours of Work: 8:30 – 4:30
Required to attend functions/meetings during off hours Travel: Less than 5% travel
As a condition of employment, all external hires will be required to submit proof of COVID-19 vaccination or documentation unless a valid medical exemption or a valid exemption based on enumerated grounds under the Ontario Human Rights Code exists. All internal candidates must be in compliance with HIROC's COVID-19 Vaccination Policy.
How to Apply
Please submit your résumé to HR@hiroc.com.
In order to be considered for this position, please include a current résumé or detailed qualifications summary with your application. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
HIROC is committed to providing a barrier-free environment for all stakeholders, including our Subscribers, employees, job applicants, suppliers, the public and any visitors who may enter our premises, access our information, or use our services. As an organization, we respect and uphold the requirements set forth under the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA) and its associated standards and regulations and will ensure that we offer a safe and welcoming environment that is respectful of each person's dignity and independence.
As an organization, HIROC is dedicated to meeting the needs of individuals with disabilities in a timely manner. We understand that providing a barrier-free environment is a shared effort, and as an organization, we are committed to working with the necessary parties to make accessibility a reality for all.